Monday, September 6, 2010

In the past few days, I have shared the gospel with Simon Peter, James, John, Thomas, and Paul. Who should I meet today but Nathaniel. I’m serious! I found Paul this morning and he had with him Nathaniel and Virgil (was he one of the twelve?). I shared the good news with them for about half an hour and then prayed with them. They promised to walk with the Lord, pray everyday, and seek to grow in their faith.

Nathaniel is a small but forceful man from Kentucky, known on the street as “Little Man.” He has been on the street for nearly twenty years. After his parents died, he had no one else with whom he had a healthy relationship, thought there was no place for him there, so he started traveling. He traveled all over the country and wound up in Durham about two years ago. He manner was brash and his language profane, but I sensed in him a hunger for something real.

Nathaniel told me about his memories of revival meetings in a warehouse when he was a kid. Although he never came into a real relationship with Christ, the seeds of the gospel were always in him. He started asking questions about Jesus and it was my joy to tell him that God had been following him all of his life and wanting to become his best friend. Nathaniel allowed me to pray with him and confessed faith in Christ. Lift him up faithfully in prayer that he grow in his walk with the Lord.

Virgil is a local man. His wife died about two months ago and he lost his home and transportation shortly thereafter. He has been on the street for about six weeks. He is still grieving over the loss of his wife and, at the same time, trying to get his life back on track. Virgil believe God had us meet this morning and is calling him back to Himself (Virgil has had some relationship with God in the past). I prayed for him for the healing of his heart and that God would give him wisdom and strength to get back on solid ground.

Both Nathaniel and Virgil asked for prayer that God would help them get their own place and start living a positive, productive life. I told them you would.

No comments:

Post a Comment