Monday, September 6, 2010

Dwight gets a new start!


I was talking with Simon Peter (not the one from Galilee--the one from London) and was encouraging/exhorting him on the corner. I assured him that a lot of people were praying for him that God would strengthen him in his faith and guide him along this new path he has taken. As I was talking with Simon, a young man was slowly making his way up the sidewalk on crutches. He “happened” to be passing just as I was saying to Simon, “I’m praying for you and so are lots of other people.” He stopped and said to me, “Did you say ‘pray?’ Do you know how to pray?” and Simon answered for me, “Of course, he does!” And Dwight said, “Will you pray for me?”

Dwight was struck by a car in 2004 and the doctors told his mother he could not live. After several months in the hospital, they conceded that he might live, but he would never walk or talk. But, Dwight believes that God spared his life for a purpose; he’s just not sure what that purpose was. He has many residual effects from his accident, including a debilitating head injury, but he is alive, walking, and talking.

Now, here’s what happened this morning just before Dwight and I met: Dwight had been “hanging out” with a woman he has known for a while. While he was visiting the rest room, she stole his stuff. Dwight was very angry and had it in his mind to “do something terrible” to her. But he said something told him to just leave, walk up the street, and cool off. He walked up the street and we met at the corner of Main and Blackwell. Dwight said to me, “I’m going through hell right now. I don’t feel like I can take much more. Can you pray for me? And do you think it will help?” I assured him that God would come to him and help him with anything that was happening in his life, but most of all, God wanted to be in a close, wonderful relationship with him. We prayed and God touched his life in a powerful way.

I shared with Dwight my vision to have a meeting place at “the bridge” and asked him if he would come. He said, “I’m already there!” We both cried and promised to meet again soon. Pray for Brother Dwight–I assured him you would.

No comments:

Post a Comment