Sunday, August 29, 2010

My new brother: Mike


I met Mike at the corner of Main and Mangum, just across the street from the site of our Wednesday Noon Bible Study. As he began to tell me his story, it was obvious that the world had not been kind to Mike. He has been beaten and robbed more than once. He was stabbed and left for dead once and was struck by a car, lan...ding him in the hospital for several weeks. Mike said he didn’t even understand why he was still alive. When I assured him that God has spared his life fo a great purpose, he seemed surprised, but intrigued with the idea.

Mike said he couldn’t really see a good reason for God to keep sparing his life and I told him that God made him and had kept him alive so that He (God) could have a wonderful, loving relationship with him (Mike). He seemed totally puzzled by that idea. Mike, as most people I know, has a hart time grasping the idea that he is so important to God that God would go to great lengths to get close to him. He has always believed that God was “up there somewhere” but to imagine that God was thinking of him and wanting to get close to him, was more than he could grasp. I assured him that this was true and asked if I could pray with him. He immediately reached out and took my hand and as I prayed with him, he humbly promised to yield his life to Christ in the very best way he could. I invited him to the Wednesday Bible Study and he promised me he would be there.

Mike was hungry, so I had the pleasure of taking him to lunch. His shoes were completely worn out and I told him I would meet him back in the same spot with some shoes. He could use a change of clothes as well, so I'll see what I can find. I feel as though I have an opportunity to put some shoes on Jesus’s feet. This is awesome!

Pray for Brother Mike.

No comments:

Post a Comment