Monday, August 30, 2010

Breakfast with Harvey

I spotted an older gentleman, salt-and-pepper and a whitening beard sitting by the entrance to the Post Office. He was watching the people going in and out as though he was searching for some kind of interaction. It was interesting to see how little attention anyone was paying to him, almost as if they were avoiding eye contact. Were they afraid of getting detained for a few seconds? Or that he might ask them for something? I stopped and spoke to him, asked how he was doing, and whether he would like to join me for breakfast. I’m not even sure whether he answered verbally, but he immediately got up and stood at my side.

McDonald’s was just a block away and as we walked down Rigsbee Ave. my new friend’s steps were very slow. He seemed to have significant discomfort in his feet and legs. When I asked him what the problem was, his voice was so soft and his accent so thick, I could understand little he was saying. When we got in line in the restaurant, I had to put my ear very close to his lips in order to understand what he wanted to eat.

Once we were seated, I began trying to find out a little more about my friend. He told me he was born in Saudi Arabia and his name was “?????” but he said I could call him “Harvey.” He said he came to this country when he was 13. He had no brothers or sisters and when his parents died, it was only him. I asked him if he had any friends; he said he had one but he was in prison. So it seems that Harvey is pretty much alone in this world. I began to tell him that he was never really alone because God cared a great deal for him and wanted to be his closest friend.

I asked Harvey if he believed in God and he nodded. When I asked if he understood that God knew and loved him personally, he indicated that he didn’t know that. I was still having a very difficult time understanding anything Harvey said, so I decided to rely mostly on his gestures. Besides, I knew he needed to talk and God could understood every word he was saying. I told Harvey as clearly and simply as I could how much God cared about him and wanted to be close to him. He seemed very interested and appeared to understand what I was saying. This conversation reminded me of just how dependant I am on the power of the Holy Spirit. I prayed that God would reveal himself to Harvey in a way that my words never could.

Harvey was very willing for me to pray with him. He freely took my hand and bowed his head. He thanked me again and again–that much I could understand. I told him I would keep an eye out for him and if I could help him in any way to let me know. As I circled the block a couple hours later, I met Harvey again and reminded him he would be in my prayers. I was struck with how much God loves this dear man. Can’t wait to have breakfast with Harvey again.

No comments:

Post a Comment